Senior Vice President – Head of Platforms & Development
Oracle recently made the release 19.3.1 and a bit later the hot fix 220.127.116.11 available. For one of our customer using E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) I just upgraded to this latest release:
How did it work out for them in a nutshell:
- So far the additional fault domain and tagging support may be interesting in the future but there is no immediate benefit in this customer scenario.
- The processing of backup-restore and cloning is now structured into a bunch of sub tasks making monitoring the progress “from the UI” much easier. Hopefully this will be the future basis to allow adding custom steps into the pipeline (Bug/ER 24938550). Furthermore logfiles are now better grouped and allow better analysis.
- With 19.3.1 there is now a way to generate (at least) a self signed SSL certificate to allow easier secure access without a load balancer. For us this is not relevant though since we used a multidomain-certificate which covers PROD and DEV/TEST.
- Improved RMAN-Parameters for backup and restore: It makes the whole process even faster than it was before 🙂
- Improved cloning “within OCI”: This should further speed up a clone “within OCI”. This is a rare case for us, further the speedup was barely measurable.
- Other bugs fixed: Out of the list of our bugs one was fixed (the cloning can now handle some manual modifications of the /etc/hosts file).
- Regressions and new Bugs: Unfortunately we ran into 2 new bugs (30579028 “cannot delete an instance when a very early error occurred”, 30685394 “having issues starting the database due to unusual DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST_SIZE”). Further bug 30778407 is a regression (has been fixed in a minor release of 19.2 and is back here again; issues with shared_pool_reserved_size on 18.104.22.168 db).
I’m looking forward to share more details on this and the general project on my collaborate session (https://collaborate.oatug.org/ and https://plan.core-apps.com/collaborate20/event/68f86629a432b86d268ab708d0c20d0f).